Monday, March 9, 2009

We're Home!

Yesterday morning started off not looking too great. Summer did not want to watch cartoons at 7:00 nor did she want to eat or get up to pee or anything. She wanted to sleep! So, I forced a bite of pancake in her mouth and made her take a few sips of chocolate milk. She did willingly eat the dried strawberries Clint had picked out of his cereal the day before and brought to her. Of course, there weren't many of them. Then she drifted off to sleep until my mom arrived around 10:00. While she was sleeping the nurse came in to inform me that she needed to be up and walking around when she woke up. So, my mom woke her up and despite her protests that she didn't need to pee, I picked her up and stood her beside the bed. She took a few steps and then I carried her the rest of the way to the bathroom. She did indeed need to pee, but she was just scared that it would hurt her belly. She walked back to her bed where I dressed her for the first time since leaving to go to the dr. appt. on Thursday morning. I guess she was not in too much pain because she then agreed to go see what daddy had waiting for her in the hallway. We just love bribery!!! He had thrown some dollar bills on the floor behind a cart and she was so happy to find them! Let me tell you, the girl LOVES MONEY! She did not seem to be in any pain and she kept walking. We walked to the playroom and then to the outside garden play area. She played and played all day. Then she ate all of her chicken noodle soup at lunch and a few of the chicken nuggets. She did so well, that they released her a few hours later. By three o'clock, we were home where the playing continued. I am just amazed at how quickly she bounced back. She was nothing at all like her daddy after his surgery. Once she started walking, she never stopped. With him, we had to force him to get out of bed and walk down the hall and then he would not go very far before he headed back to his bed. This was not the case with her and I am so happy that she is back to her old self again. I am anxious to see how she will feel this morning because she was very active yesterday and I hope she did not overdo it. I know her pain medicine is worn off because the last time she had it was before bed around 10:00 last night. Hopefully she will still be feeling good and ready to play again today. Of course, I wouldn't really be opposed if she just wanted to lay on the couch with me all day. I could use a little more snuggly time because for the past few days if my mom has been around (which she was all day everyday until around 8 or 9), she got all the snuggling. Next to her, I am usually chopped liver. Oh to be as cool as my mom.... :)

Anyways, we are home. She is doing awesome. I couldn't ask for things to turn out better than this. We still do not have anymore results that we did right after the surgery. I will get them tomorrow at 1:00. I am anxious for the appointment, but scared at the same time. I know everything will be okay, but this whole chemo thing is scary to me. Everyone I have talked to about it says it isn't that bad. The chemo for kids is a lot different than for adults, but I am still not looking forward to it. I mean, who would???

At this point, it does not seem like our life will be much different than before. We will just have to go in once a week for treatment which shouldn't last more than an hour or so I am guessing. She can still do everything she did before. We will be going back to her classes this week. I can still continue with my training for the figure competition. It does not look like we have to cancel our trip to New Jersey next week. Everything is as it was before only now she has one kidney and a big scar on her belly, just like her daddy.

It just goes to show you that even though crazy, unexpected things happen, life goes on. The world doesn't stop even when you feel like it is going to or should. Sometimes life is bumpy, sometimes it is smooth. Of course I prefer the smooth road, but without the bumps we wouldn't know how good we have it (at least for the most part). So, as the saying goes, "the show must go on." And it will.


The Stallings' Clan said...

I am so happy for you that everything has been fairly smooth so far. We will keep your family in our prayers! Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help, even if it's a playdate!

Stephanie said...

I'm so happy to hear she did well! I don't think this could have turned out any better. Hopefully chemo won't be a big deal at all.

Bridgett said...

Amazing news all around! Gives me goose bumps! :)

Give Summer a hug from me.


vintagehousewife said...

You guys are amazing, your post is so uplifting. So glad Summer is going much better!

Heather said...

Hello. I heard about your sweet daughter through Angie's (from Bring the Rain) Twitter site. I am so happy your daughter is going so well! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Tricia said...

She is simply amazing! Awesome news to read. I'm glad it's been great for you all, despite the scary thoughts. keep us posted.

Stephanie said...

So happy that you all are home. Praying for you all!!!!!