Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thank God for picnics

Pics thanks to Ashley our awesome child entertainer / playmate. She rocks at getting the pics out quickly!!!
Enjoying the picnic, but not looking our best. :)


Most of our day was spent waiting for a room. We got to the clinic at 9:00. We signed in and played and waited for an hour and a half for them to call us back so they could hook up to Summer's port. At 11:30 they had a picnic for the oncology patients at the rooftop garden. It was a nice surprise. They had hot dogs, PB&J, chips, a chocolate chip cookie cake and soft drinks. Oh yeah, and toys!!! There is no end to the toys in this place. After Summer got hooked up to her port, she got a new baby doll. This doll has brown eyes just like her. I think this is the first doll that did not have blue or purple eyes. They had also bought some new toys to play with at the picnic. Bubble swords, light-up fans, balls and more. They really try to spoil these kids so they think the hospital is a great, fun place to be.
We got into a room around 4:00 or so. Who knew it could take all day just to get a room? They will not start the chemo until the morning. I am not sure if that was the original plan or if it just took too long to get us a room. Either way, they are supposed to start it at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. They said they will start giving her nausea medicine at 2:00 a.m. and then again at 8:00 a.m. That is scary, but hopefully it means she will not be puking her head off around noon. We'll just have to wait and see about that though. I won't get my hopes up.

Well, my little girl is ready to head back to our room and play with playdough so I better wrap this up. Hopefully we will get a good night's sleep. I wonder if I will end up in her bed or on the couch. I feel some good snuggling coming on soon. I'm sleepy and so is she. Maybe we will skip the playdough and go straight to some bedtime stories.

7 comments:

Susie said...

Sounds like she had a good time. That is what is so good about these clinics and hospitals for children.They know how to relax the kids and parents. I hope everything goes ok tomorrow. I will be saying a prayer for your family.

Stephanie said...

I think that's really neat how they do those things for the kids! I'm praying for a smooth day tomorrow for all of you!!!!

Losinthisdangfat said...

Your little girl is so cute! She really looks like her daddy!
I think that was nice that the hospital gave her a little dolly. I bet that helped her to feel better about being there, although it's never easy having to be in the hospital. I hope that things go smoothly for Summer tomorrow. Have a great day guys!

Molly said...

That really sounds nice!! They tend to take really good care of pediatric oncology patients, so you'll feel about as good as you can feel about a crappy situation. What chemo does she get tomorrow? My son is going in tomorrow for chemo 5 of 30, and he's getting cyclophosphamide (cytoxan) and etoposide.

Maybe we should "chat" while we're both in the hospital with our babies tomorrow!

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

Looks like they really try to keep everyone in good spirits around there. That's really great.

I am praying that the chemo goes well. Hopefully the anti-nausea meds will keep her comfortable. Let us know how it goes, I'll be thinking of you all.

~Ann~ said...

She didnt look very happy in the first picture but very understandable. At least the picnic took her mind away for a bit and back to being a child and playing. I am praying the chemo work for your little girl and you continue to be in my prayers

Bridgett said...

Wow...an entire day just to get the room? Yikes.

I hope things go well today. How did accessing the port go? I bet she handled it like an old pro. :)

Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

XOXO