Sunday, March 29, 2009

The post I am writing now...LOL

I am sitting in the lounge for the oncology patients waiting for Summer to wake up. Last night around midnight she decided she wanted me to go home and Daddy to come and stay with her. Needless to say, we were having a rough night.

We had to force her anti-biotic into her mouth, only to have her empty her stomach (got that from the nurse) all over the bed and herself, of course. I think I am done with the coaxing of the medicines. It is not working and we both end up getting so upset. It is terrible.

Last night I actually cried in front of Summer. She was crying and I just broke down. Then she tells me not to cry and I tell her that she needs to stop crying too. It was a sad, sad situation. My patience was out the window and her agreeing to do anything that involved medicine of any kind was out of the the question. With one exception, grape Tylenol. Yep, she took it like a champ. There is my light at the end of the tunnel. A little bit of good with all this bad. I guess I'll take what I can get.

So, I slept alone at home last night. It was so weird being the one at home. It felt crappy. I wasn't where I should've been, but I guess I did need the time to recharge and gear up for today. The nurse left Summer's antibiotic with Clint this morning. I may wait to go to the room until he tries to get her to take it. Maybe he will have more luck than me.

I think her hair is starting to fall out. Last night she got puke in her hair and I was trying to wipe it out with a wipe. I noticed a few hairs coming out. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I don't think so. I know it is going to happen soon. I've got to get it cut. I brought some clippers and scissors with me. Not sure if I will get around to that today or not. We will just have to see if she is up for it. Maybe when Memaw and Nanny get here I'll bring it up to her.

That is another thing. I don't know what to say around Summer or, rather, what NOT to say. I always tell my dad "less is more", and I think maybe I should follow my own advice. I don't know. I just know she is scared to death. I am scared to death. And, so is her daddy.

Please pray that God will give us all the strength and courage that we need to make it through the days ahead. Oh, and a little patience wouldn't be a bad thing either.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Maybe our medicine method will work for you, even though it stopped working for us. We use a little spoon of honey, and dip the syringe in honey, give a bit of the oral antibiotic, then dip again, give a bit more, until it's gone, and finish it off with the rest of the honey.

Also, it is possible that the hospital's compound is different from the one that you have at home. We bring our own, because it is slightly less gross.

Bridgett said...

Oh, honey.

I feel for you so much. And I absolutely hate to hear that Summer's hair might already be coming out. That just makes me sad. I love her blonde curls. :(

Is there anyway you could mix some of these meds in her juice or drinks? That's what we do with Parker and it works like a charm.

Mol has a good suggestion too...mixing it with honey. A lot of parents do that as well. Or, if Summer likes ketchup, get her some fries and hide the meds in the ketchup.

Be creative.

I hope today is a better day for you all.

XOXO

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I'm so sorry you had a rough night. I think the honey idea sounds like a good one, I hope it works.

Hoping today goes smoothly.

Stephy said...

I'm so sorry.
I'm glad you did get some rest though.
*hugs*
Stephy