Saturday, March 14, 2009

Aiming to stay positive

Well, I should be taking a nap right now. But, I am not. Who has time for naps anyway? Besides husbands and kids that is. :) Right now I have one of each sleeping in my house.

Summer is at my mom's house. Things are business as usual so far this weekend. Memaw still got her Saturday night with Summer. We will meet up at church followed by lunch with the family. Just a normal weekend.

Tonight we are going to play poker with some friends. I am not very good, but I do enjoy watching the other players bluff. I am contemplating sushi for dinner, but I could also go for a steak. Either will do I guess. I am just glad some things in life don't change.

Clint has gotten me all worried about him too now. He has some abdomen pain which is freaking him/me out. I don't know what it is, but I know it is NOT his appendix. They took that out when they did one of his surgeries. I am sure he will be at the doctor or getting an appointment on Monday. His next scan is next month which is looming over our heads like a big, black cloud right now too. Maybe he has just mentally psyched himself into believing there is something wrong, but nothing really is. Or maybe something is. I'm not even going to try to guess. I'll just leave it in Gods hands like everything else in my life. Sorry - I thought this post was going to be all positive, but apparently not. You just gotta love life!

The sleepover was a huge success last night. I think Summer's room is actually cleaner than when they got here, so that is awesome. Although, it is by no means spotless. Last night the girls helped me make peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses on them. They went over well. I did not eat any, just so you know. :) We read books before bed which brought a few tears to my eyes. They gave us some books when Summer was in the hospital. I think they are to get you prepared for their treatment. Anyways, the book was called Hannah Goes to the Hospital, or something like that, and the kids called it Summer goes to the hospital. Anyways, the little girl in the book had lost her hair and it was growing back just a little. It showed all the crap we are going to be going through - hospital stays, shots, check-ups, MRI's, EKGs, getting hooked up to your "tubies" (you read that right "tubies" --who came up with that anyway?), blah, blah, blah. Summer got right up in front of the book and was so engrossed. I lost it a few times and got my niece to finish a few sentences. when I couldn't. I wonder how much of it she understands. I don't really know how to talk to her about it. How much or what to say? I don't want to scare her, but I don't want her to be taken off guard either. I wonder if she really understands her hair is going to fall out? We have said it in front of her, but I wasn't really pressing the point. Just answering the questions of my niece and nephew. Crap. This is getting worse.

Sorry again. I am finished for now. Got to get back to the fun weekend! I'll save the crap for when it is pouring all around me. I've only got good things to look forward to at least until Monday or Tuesday. Today I am reminding my self that even though life isn't perfect, it is a pretty wonderful life!!!

7 comments:

Annie said...

hi there my name is annie and i just wanted to share that when my little one went through this, we just got a whole bunch of crazy wigs from the party store, crazy play ones and dress up hats for the summer and everyone thought she was so cute playing, and it really helped. also, we got zinc oxide sticks(sunscreen) that come in all sorts of colors, and made rainbows on our heads ( my husband and i shaved our heads too)
we also used facepaint to make different designs on each others head sometimes, she thought it was hillarious.
hope those ideas help!
annie

Molly said...

My son likes to put stickers on his bald little head!

There is a girl who underwent treatment for Wilms Tumor, twice, who is 5 and off treatment now for several months. She is a triplet. She was actually fascinated by the smoothness of her bald head.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathleenbrennan

Anonymous said...

Don't even know how I found your blog, but I just want you to know that your family is in our prayers. Summer sounds like an amazing little girl - and you, a wonderful mommy!

Stephanie said...

Praying for Summer and Clint tonight. HOpe you have a wonderful time out and are able to relax alittle while Summer's grandma enjoys her alittle.

Bridgett said...

I think you're all pretty amazing. Your positivity through all this is inspiring. I'm so glad you're having a nice weekend.

You're all in my thoughts...you, Clint, and Summer.

XOXO

Tiffany said...

You got me crying over here too, just thinking about you crying reading that book. :( I'm not sure how I'd go about telling my little girl either(who is around the same age as Summer) if she were having to go through something like this. (((((HUGS))))) for you trying to be strong and taking it one day at a time.

Molly said...

That little "pray for Summer" logo--have you had it made into a button? You should. Go to artscow.com. We made "Team David" buttons and gave them to doctors and nurses and relatives and friends. It's lots of little silly things but she'll have fun being "famous" even though it's for something that isn't so much fun.