Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy to be home

But, exhausted at the same time. It was a relatively uneventful weekend. You know, just the normal chemo routine. :) Last night, or rather this morning, around 3:45 a.m. Summer started getting sick again. She got sick about 5 times between then and 6:15 a.m. They gave her some Benadryl in addition to the Zophran she was already getting and it seemed to help. When it kicked in, she slept until about 10:00 a.m. When she got up, I tried to encourage her to eat, get up and move around so we could go home. She said she wanted to stay. LOL. Talk about irony. When they want her to stay, she wants to go. When they say she can go, she's ready to stay. By the time my mom and Tre got there, Summer was moving around and playing like usual. But, she still wasn't eating at 1:00 p.m with the exception of two bites of my grapefruit. When she came across of jar of spaghetti in my purse, she decided she wanted to eat. Yeah!!! Glad I grabbed that out of her diaper bag when I ran home to shower this morning.

Clint came early this morning while I was doing my Jazzercise in her room. So, I finished up and went home to shower. It felt so good. I hurried back to the hospital though because Clint said he was scared to be alone with her. I don't know why they say men are the stronger sex. I guess maybe if you base it on physical strength, but emotionally and mentally I don't think so. Especially when it comes to taking care of sick kids. Of course, I'm sure there are some "Supermen" out there somewhere. :)

I am so happy to be home, although paranoia is starting to set in a little. I am not the germaphobe type - AT ALL. At least I didn't used to be. Now that my daughter's immune system is going to hell, I may cross over to the other side. No classes for us this week. I don't think her "counts" are supposed to drop until Friday or Saturday, but to be on the safe side, we are going to forgo her classes. I am slightly tempted to take her to a class on Tuesday, but I probably shouldn't do that either. I guess I thought we would be able to keep our normal activities up, but that was just a fantasy. It is okay for her to be around one or two kids at a time, but more than that is pushing it. Of course, these kids need to be healthy. Man, this is going to be tough. We already have a play date set up for Tuesday afternoon which should remain a go unless of course the other child gets sick between now and then. I hope not. Towards the weekend, I am thinking we will not be going around many other people. Maybe church on Sunday, but no shaking hands with everybody this week.

Summer is ready for me to go lay down and snuggle her so I'm going to sign off. How can I resist such a sweet little princess?

Thank you all for your prayers! Please keep them coming as our battle has just begun. We go back to the clinic tomorrow so I can learn how to give her shots. :( Then Friday we go in for an outpatient chemo injection. I'm sure they will try to get one or two more appointments in for us somewhere during the week. What else are we supposed to do with our free time? Maybe enjoy the beautiful outdoors? I think so. That is still on our list of things we can do!!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

I am so glad that you got to come home today and that I got to visit. I had so much fun spending time with Summer today! Boy did we have fun riding on the carousel at Coolidge Park...all eight or so times. I hope you had a good rest, sorry I didn't get to spend any time with you, maybe I'll see you tomorrow. I am going to Blood Assurance 1st thing in the morning after dropping my kids off at school. I'll call when I'm done there and see what you guys are up to at that point! You all never cease to be in my prayers, I love you!

Susie said...

Glad to see that you got to go home. Hope all stays well with Summer.

Molly said...

For the shots, which we also have to do, if you can work it out, do it when both you and your husband are home. That way, one can hold and one can give shots. More importantly, the one who is holding can give hugs while the other tosses the needles in the sharps container. And then returns to give hugs. It's hard, emotionally, to give the shots, but when you tell her that even though it hurts it will help her feel better and stay healthier, you'll start to believe it too.

Glad you guys are home!! Our boy still has 2 more days of chemo.

Stephanie said...

So glad to hear that you are at home! Keeping Summer in my prayers!!! Hope you have a wonderful week with your precious little girl!

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I'm glad things seem to be going okay. Hopefully things can stay semi-normal and you are right, a little fresh air never hurt anyone!! Hang in there :-)

Bridgett said...

You know, it may not be a bad idea to buy some face masks (like docs wear in the OR), that way if Summer has to be out and about, she'll be protected from anything inhaled.

But yea, I think it'll be prudant to be a bit of a germophobe from here on out...at least until the chemo and radiation is over.

Enjoy your week! It's supposed to be beautiful here...hopefully where you are too. :)

XXOO