Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What a day!

We arrived at the clinic a little before 9:00 a.m. and did not pull out of the parking garage until 6:23 p.m. And, we only made it to one of our appointments!!!! They accessed her and gave her the Vincristine shortly after 11:00 a.m. We, the nurse and I, decided to go ahead and deaccess the port after instead of leaving it in, taping it on and waiting to see what her blood counts were. Can you say MISTAKE? Yeah, an hour later we were reapplying the ELMA (numbing cream) so she could be reaccessed because her hemoglobin was low and she needed blood. It's days like this I wish I was psychic. At that point, I knew we were probably not going to make our 2:00 appointment unless they could hurry up and see us as soon as we got there (since we had to wait an hour and a half on the blood anyway). So, I called and ended up just rescheduling. The blood arrived around 2:45 when I learned it would take 3 hours to give it all to her (just one unit). It was a very long day, and I'm pooped even though I just pretty much sat around all day. Thankfully, Clint brought Summer and I something home from Logans since he wasn't hungry enough to eat the two meals he ordered. LOL

On the way to the car this evening, Summer told me the three things she "hates": 1. her port 2. shots 3. finger pricks. I really wish there was something I could do about those things, but I can't. She will just have to learn to adjust I guess.

She's asking me to come watch Barney with her now so I guess I better even though I just saw this same episode yesterday. The things I will do for that girl..... But, at least it isn't Blues Clues. So, that is something to be thankful for. :)

Her ANC was around 300 and is still dropping. It should bottom out this week sometime and then start rebuilding. So, we are still doing the shots. Her platelets were 80 something thousand which wasn't too bad. But, since all her numbers were low we go back on Thursday to have them checked again to make sure she doesn't need more blood or platelets. I just hope it doesn't turn into another all day affair. Keep us in your prayers! Also, pray for NO fever. That would mean another trip to the hospital for at least 48 hours. When her blood starts rebuilding, that is usually when the fevers occur. So far we are two fevers for two cycles. That's one statistic I would love to beat. Please no fever this cycle!!!!!!!!!!!!


the mol said...

That was us too, with the blood that took forever. They didn't think he needed it. He is so pale anyway and his energy level is pretty much always high. I insisted that he would. They had to access him anyway to do labs for nephrology and they just left it in. Actually I had them leave it in today because we're going on Thursday to do chemo.

But they did a crappy job of dressing it, as one of the little butterflies was digging into his skin, so I actually ended up taking off the dressing, wiping the area, and applying a Tegaderm to hold it until tomorrow morning when I go in to drop off a pee sample.

Stephanie said...

Praying for your sweet girl! Hope things go well this week and maybe she won't bottom out :) thinking of both of you!

Stephycce said...

Lots of prayers and thoughts for no fever.

Bridgett said...

Giving blood is always time-consumming. It has to be administered slowly to watch for reactions.

I'm sorry it was such a lousy day for you.

Fingers crossed for NO FEVER!