Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Two Appointments

Summer has two Dr. appointments today. One for her second dose of Vincristine, and the other for a follow up with her radiation doctor. I am not really excited about either, but she is less excited. I have already started packing food since I imagine we will not be home until late this afternoon.

Chicken noodle soup. Check.

Cheese and crackers. Check.

I may throw in a some fruit too if I have time. I'm not sure what time her appointment is so I am just going to try to get there early so we can get her started. Plus, I need to run to the pharmacy to pick up more Neupogen for her shots. Sunday we gave Summer her shot right before church started since she was staying with my mom all weekend. Well, when she saw the needle she got upset of course. I don't know why we didn't think to leave the auditorium (???) and do it somewhere private. I guess I just wanted to get it over with so we could part on a good note after church. Anyway, Clint was administering the shot while I held her. He cleans her and sticks the needle in only to realize that the syringe is empty. He used the shot from the day before!!!! Needless to say, that was not good. So, he had to get the other out and put the needle on the syringe. All the while, Summer was squirming in my lap not sure what was going on. I mean this is the first time we have messed up and had to poke her twice. After it was over with, which is rather quick, I noticed a few people looking at us, pitying poor Summer. Of course, it was no big deal since we have the best people ever at our church. I have never felt judged in that place and I will tell you that is something I would say is hard to find in a church. I just love it! Summer stayed curled up on my lap for while which was nice, but I would prefer her not have to get the shots to get the good lovin' that follows. I feel her pain and it hurts me too.

Yesterday, when I told her we were going to the doctor, she said something like no more doctors. It is so hard to make cancer fun. But, I am trying to do my best. We will probably do some kind of craft today. Hopefully, Ms. Katherina will be there. She is a volunteer who sometimes reads to Summer and plays with her and the other kids. There are several kids I hope are not there. :O There are several I hope are. :) I guess I don't get to pick so we will just have to see who we end up with. That place can turn into a zoo with all the kids running around from the kitchen to the craft room to the play area. Oh yeah....and the Drs. and nurses station....and everywhere. I am so glad Summer is not wild (which is what I would consider some of the kids to be).

I guess I better go get prepared for the day. Summer is still in bed. It looks like she crawled in bed with her daddy while I was gone to boot camp. He's lucky she didn't make him get up.

4 comments:

Bridgett said...

Poor baby. She's been through so much in her short life. But she's a trooper.

Good luck at the doc appointments today!

XOXO

Molly said...

I agree about the other kids--some are crazy and their parents don't watch them at all! But most of the bigger kids who are there are really sweet to our boy.

Hope everything went well. I had to chuckle about the food you brought since we are starting a strict low sodium and low potassium diet for him.

Erin said...

I would have to say that it is even harder to find a church where the Truth is preached, no matter how hard it may be to hear at times. And I would venture to say that when a person is feeling judged that it may actually be the conviction of the Holy Spirit that is felt...when the Truth of the Word is preached/taught. When that is not the case it may be a matter of being judged vs. being accepted, I have been to churches like that too :( But there are also some churches who accept anybody & everybody, even those who live continuously in blatant sin & who embrace false doctrine, and those kinds aren't doing anyone any favors because the Truth is not found there. Sin separates us from God and when we are separated from God we can't have a relationship with Him and if we don't have a relationship with Him then where is our hope?!? I could preach a sermon here I'm sure but that is not what I am here for, my heart aches for those who's eyes are blind to the Truth of God's Word. It is my prayer that all of my friends and family will be together in heaven some day! I am praying always for you, Clint,& Summer through all of this treatment, etc. I love you sis! OXOXOX

Stephy said...

:(
Sorry about the extra shots...You are doing a wonderful thing. And even though she seems icky about it now she will appreciate you so much for doing all this for her.
*hugs*