Monday, October 19, 2009

Cycle 8 ends: NO MORE CHEMO!!!

Summer is sleeping off the chemo she got today: Iphosmafide and Etopside. They are the "crazy" drugs that make her brain function abnormal so she is in a highly agitated state when she's awake. She has woken up with pee in her panties once and two times in a diaper. She would've had the diaper on for the first pee, but when I tried to put the diaper on after they had started the chemo and she had thrown up on herself and the bed, she did not cooperate. So, I agreed to let her pee in her panties once before the diapers went on. Boy, was I right on the money with that one. :) She cried when I left for a bit this morning. They gave her some Benadryl after her chemo was finished to help sedate her, but when she wakes up, she is upset. She was whimpering and crying out "Mommy" when I got back. It took about fifteen minutes or so for her to calm down and fall asleep. Then the phone rang and she stirred whimpering and crying out "Mommy" some more. I am hoping she is in a deep sleep and will awaken (before she pees on herself again) in a less agitated state. It is so hard to watch and not be able to do anything but hold her and comfort her. I can't take the pain away though. Poor baby. I am so glad this is her last one though. Hopefully, the worst side effects are over for the day. I am sure she will have little or no body control again though until sometime in the middle of the night.

This morning when she woke up, she was ready to ride the tricycle. I'm not sure I should have let her though because she was still a little wobbly in the head. She did good though. After we were back in the room, she was walking around knocking her head in the wall and food tray. She sat and played with her laptop a little while and let me do the same. Then when she was done, I cut mine off too and we got in the bed. She wanted to nap a little before they brought the dogs by today (they have animal therapy just about every day M-F). We laid down and then the Dr. came. We got Leah in the bed with us and showed her off to the Dr. Then we played with her for a bit after they left. It was nice to have a little fun before the chemo kicked in.

I wonder how long it will take her to crash from this round and what she will feel like the rest of the week. I hope she is not completely zapped because, of course, we have several fun activities we could do the rest of the week if she is up to it. No pressure though. I'm not going to drag around a sick little girl and try to force her to do fun things. That wouldn't be fair to either of us. But, should she be up to it, we will have a fun rest of the week. I never put off the fun parts in life. You have to enjoy it while you have it because you never know which tomorrow will be your last.

On a lighter note, retail therapy has been my friend this week. I have shopped the past two days for clothes, shoes and Christmas gifts for Summer. Yesterday, I hit the clearance racks in a few stores in the mall and today I went to a consignment sale. The girl racked up! I hope these clothes will get us through to spring and beyond. I can't wait to show them to her when we get home tomorrow. I think she will be excited to see them. I even found two more pairs of footed PJ's (one with a cat on it). Of course, all the clothes are mostly pink and purple. I did get a few red holiday type shirts too. We love to dress festive! I even bought a cheesy gingerbread outfit. She had one last year, but I'm pretty sure it will be too small this year. Clothes rarely last two years around here. I guess that's normal though. Kids keep growing and growing. Glad to see we haven't lost all sense of normalcy. I can't wait to get back into a more "normal" routine. It won't be long now!

4 comments:

Susie said...

I was so glad to see this post. Hope she starts to feel better real soon so things can get back to normal for your family. Praying for you all.

Stephanie said...

I'm so happy to hear chemo is over! I know you are too!!!!!! Hope you can get some rest tonight at some point :)

Gotta love retail therapy! It works wonders!

Kristi said...

Oh happy day! Here's hoping this last round will be easy on Summer and she will be able to enjoy all the fun things you have planned. including trying on all her new outfits for you!

Summer, you are such a brave little girl, who has gone through so much; more than any child should have to go through. You are such a blessing to your family, and so many of us have grown to adore you, even without knowing you in person. You are so special and we pray for you every day, dear girl. And my sweet Sophie, who is four years old and is asking to have a playdate with you (heehee), sends hugs to you too!

Bridgett said...

I'm so behind! How's she doing?

Yay for no more chemo! WooHoo!
I bet you thought this day would never get here, huh?

:)