Tuesday, October 27, 2009

8 for 8

Summer is back in the hospital with a fever. Last night we watched TV together. As time passed, I noticed she was feeling progressively warmer. When she felt too warm, I got the cow thermometer and took her temperature. 102.5. Called the doctor. I thought for a second about giving her some Tylenol and waiting for the fever to return. Then I remembered that it was not worth the chance of it being something more serious and made the dreaded call. I was told to report to Children's 300. No surprise there.

After I got there, I had to go back down to the ER to give them my insurance information so we could get Summer into the computer system and treated. I waited and paced and waited and paced. Three phone calls from Summer later and I was headed back up to the room. I had left her one of my cell phones so she could call me if she needed me. Apparently, that was a good idea. :) The nurses went ahead and accessed her port even though I had not signed in. Of course, I didn't tell them because I wanted to get the party started. Just as they were starting a lady comes to ask me to go down again. Needless to say, they had to wait. Summer's port accessing was horrible. Wait, HORRIBLE!!! Not only did she repeat, "Don't do it Jamie. No, no! Don't do it!" But, the port did NOT work. The nurse was able to get a little blood, but then it stopped up. She couldn't push any fluids through it or pull any from it. Summer was in pain already because despite the numbing cream, I'm sure it still hurts. Then they are trying to wiggle it around, hoping to get it to do something. Nope. Summer was whimpering in pain and taking some deep breaths. Another nurse was called in and still nothing. They took it out. Then went and got another needle kit to try again. Nothing. They ordered some stuff to put in it and about an hour and half to two hours later they finally got it working. What an ordeal!

Summer was sleepy and feverish so she had been sleeping off and on throughout the process. After she was all set up and on the antibiotics, I finally crashed next to her. Oh yeah, before we left to go to the hospital she told me that when she was napping on the couch she had dreamed that she was going to get to sleep with me. :p Sometime after 11:00 p.m. she woke up and told me she was too hot. I went ahead and called for Tylenol since it was time and I had only given her a half a dose the first time because I was in too much of a hurry to get to the hospital. :( Anyway, I took her temperature which was 104.9 under the arm. OH MY! I went to the nurses station and told the first nurse I saw what it was. A few minutes later our nurse (who is one we have never had before), brought the Tylenol. I was already retaking her temperature, but this time it said it was 103.2. Needless to say, her fever broke a few hours later and I don't think she has run one since. They gave her a flu test which was negative. Also, her blood cultures are still negative as far as I know. Her hemoglobin did not bounce up too much after the transfusion yesterday and was only 7.3 today. So, she may get blood tomorrow if it does not recover. I think we will probably get out on Thursday, but that is only if no new symptoms develop. They say it could be a virus. They are watching to see if she develops a rash now. She is in good spirits and up and about so all is good for the time being.

This could possibly be her last stay in the hospital for a long while. God willing, forever. They are scheduling her a bone scan, MRI and CT scan for sometime in the next few weeks. I wish I could say I wasn't worried, but I am. I am scared to death. The relief I thought I would feel with the chemo being over hasn't come yet. Clint is due for scans too. I wonder if this has anything to do with my urge to devour anything and everything sweet I can. Hmmmm???


Susie said...

That poor baby. I will be praying for her. Hope she feels better soon.

Stephanie said...

Praying for you these next few weeks! I can't imagine how stressful this must be on you but just know you're not alone!

the mol said...

Such a bummer that you're back in the hospital...but I hope that this is the last hospital stay for her until she is a grown woman having a baby.

KK said...

Oh honey, I'm no help, I say you deserve chocolate! I'll be praying for them both. I hope this is her last hospital stay!

Bridgett said...

I knew this happened, as I saw your message on fb. I just hate this for all of you.

But hopefully, you're home now. I don't think I'm going to ever get caught up on reading.

Big hugs.