Sunday, July 12, 2009

A menagerie of activities

We have been on the go since we got out of the hospital. Nothing unusual there. Thursday afternoon we went to the Discovery Museum to see the Curious George exhibit. Summer enjoyed it and it was nice to be doing "normal" things with her. So nice, that we went to Playgym on Friday morning. It was the first time we had attended the 3 year old class and things were a little different. Summer was sure to notice what we did NOT do that we did in the 2 year old class: no bouncing on balls and no bubbles. I know this because yesterday I was telling someone we went to Playgym and they asked Summer what she did. Instead, she told them what they did not do in class. :) Kids are so smart!

Friday night she was supposed to go to a birthday party, but by the time it rolled around, she did not feel like going. Instead, we chilled on the couch watching Dragon Tales. Have I mentioned this is her new favorite video? Again, I miss Barney. I know, I know. Some may think I am crazy, but Barney is just good stuff - very positive and always upbeat. Plus we have at least 10 of those videos so there is some variety. After that, one of our friends had some steaks to grill, so we ended up going over there and then playing games. Katie had a game perfect for Summer called Pretty, Pretty Princess. It was fun and easy to play and best of all you got to put on jewelry. Katie ended up giving it to Summer who has thoroughly enjoyed it. She is even going to take it to her Memaw's house today. I am going to keep it in mind for any little girls I need to buy a gift for. Too bad Summer has missed all of her friends' (with one exception) birthday parties this year. I have all of their gifts, unwrapped, in my laundry room. Not sure what to do with them now unless I somehow manage to get them wrapped and give them to them next time we see them. Who knows when that will be though?

Yesterday, Summer wanted to go to the aquarium, so we did that. I made her wear her mask there since it was very busy in there and her counts are probably dropping. She stills seems perfectly healthy though. Still no sickness from this last round of chemo. I am just amazed at how her body has adjusted. She ended up getting a toy from the gift shop. I have always been strong before and been able to walk through it without buying anything, but yesterday she picked out a "sea slipper." It is basically plastic or rubber tube filled with blue, sparkly fluid, 3 fish and a turtle. You can put your fingers in the ends. Summer can actually put her whole hand and arm into it. It is pretty slippery and slips out of your hand if you are not careful.

Last night, we went to a birthday party for one of my friends. Summer came with us and was pretty much a Mommy's lap girl all night. ;) We were supposed to stay and watch the UFC fights, but Summer was ready to leave before the first fight was even over. LOL Daddy was happy to oblige her and we left after it ended.

This morning I noticed some swimmers in the river and I told Summer to come look. She said she wished we could go watch them, so we got dressed and hopped on the bike. It was our first time to go to a Triathlon and it was pretty neat. We parked and walked down to the river to watch the swimmers swimming to the exit from the water. Then they ran up the steps to their bicycles. We watched them take off and by the time we were headed home, there were a few people back from cycling starting their run. It was neat that we got to see that. Summer was hungry when we got there, so we found a booth selling cookies and got one for us to share. Summer wanted to bring it home to eat, but we ended up sitting where we could watch the swimmers and bikers. She only ate a few bites of it and said I could have the rest. What a sweetie! I did save half of it in case she changes her mind later. I have a feeling I will be the one to finish it though.

She is all ready to go to church so she can go spend the night with her Memaw afterwards. I think I'm going to sit around and chill the rest of the day. All this running around has me worn out. She is still going though. Oh, to have the energy of a 3 year old again.....




P.S. Eyelashes still at 1 & 3

6 comments:

Susie said...

Glad to hear the great update on Summer. I am glad to hear she didn't get sick this time. It makes the time go by a whole lot better. Sounds like she got to enjoy the weekend with you all.

Molly said...

So glad to hear she is doing well! It makes everything feel better when you can do normal kid things with them.

Stephanie said...

You guys ARE keeping busy....I really think that's the best thing for you all right now. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time!!! Glad she's eating and still feeling well :)

Kristi said...

I am so glad to hear Summer is continuing to do so well from this last round of chemo! She is such a trooper and sounds like the sweetest little thing! It makes me smile to hear how she loves going to grandma's house, because my little girl is the exact same way. She just turned four and is always asking for a sleepover at her Nana's.

Stephy said...

Oh I'm glad she's having fun and keeping you busy ;)
Stephy

Bridgett said...

I think the fact you keep her so busy and entertained is what's keeping her from getting as sick. I really do.

That's good mothering. :)

So glad Summer is enjoying her summer!

XOXO