Sunday, July 19, 2009

Just a little morphine

Last night, Summer woke up in a terrible fuss. She was crying and wouldn't stop. She said her belly hurt (all over). She said her feet hurt (???). It was hard to get her to calm down. The nurse wasn't sure if she was having an allergic reaction to the Vancomycin because her face was red and splotchy, but she was crying. So, she went to get her Benadryl and called the resident. They decided a little morphine might make her feel better (since that is the only pain medication they give through IV and she won't take anything but Tylenol orally). She was calm by the time they gave it, but it must have helped because she didn't wake up again for hours and was in much better shape when she did.

Her fevers are dwindling which is great. We are not sure if the belly pain is due to hunger or what. I know she is hungry because she tells me she is, but she just can't stomach more than chicken noodle soup broth, a few sips of sprite and cupcake icing. One of dad's sisters, Granny and a cousin and her boyfriend brought over some cupcakes yesterday morning along with a few jelly biscuits. The only thing Summer touched was the icing, but that IS something! It was nice of them to come visit and made the morning pass more quickly. My sister came in the afternoon and was going to spend the night with Summer, but Summer awoke from a nap, vomited and started crying for me. My sister called me and I came back to the hospital where I was needed. They said she looked so much better after I got there. It is amazing what a mommy's touch will do. My sister still stayed the night with us and is in the bed with Summer now. I left the room to blog so they could get a little more rest without having to hear me typing.

My mom's sister came on Friday night to give me a break. I was surprised Summer agreed to stay with her since we don't see her very often, but she did. They had a good time and when I returned Summer's long nails were a pretty pink, just like my aunts. :) My aunt brought her a little bear wearing scrubs and a mask (like Summer has to wear sometimes). Yesterday, Summer asked me where the bear's port was so I had to draw one on him with a pen. LOL

I am not sure when we will be going home. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday, but I wish it was today. We were supposed to go to Lake Winnie with Lana's Love today, but it looks like we are going to miss it. I think that they are waiting on her to start eating again before she can go home. I SOOOOOOOOOOO hope that is today, but I know it is all in God's time, not mine.

5 comments:

Susie said...

Hate to hear that she isn't eating. Praying she gets her appetite back soon like she did before. Glad to morphine let her get a good night sleep.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I thought about her last night, under the stars... Praying for her recovery...

Hope tomorrow is a better day. Hang in there.

-*aMaNdA*- said...

aww sprite :) I hope it made her feel better : )

Bridgett said...

I hate that she's hurting. :(

Stephy said...

Aww sorry she's hurting I really hope she eats!
Stephy