Tuesday, May 9, 2006

MY LABOR & DELIVERY










We went the hospital early on Saturday morning. We stopped at Hardees on the way for my first and last meal of the day. I'm glad we did because they would not let me eat anything (except Popsicles or jello) for the rest of the day. We got to the hospital and the nurse (Lisa) checked us in. She got the IV started about 8:30 and then the pitocin at 8:50. She checked me and I was still only 2 centimeters dilated and about 60% effaced. I labored all day, but was not in much pain until after they broke my water. Then the real pain started. I didn't want to get an epidural because I heard it can slow down dilation. So, I got some pain medication, "the loopy drug." I had two doses of it over 2 hours. I could still feel the contractions, but I didn't care because the top part of my body was feeling good (aka loopy). They checked me around 5:00, and I was only 3.5 centimeters dilated. So, I decided to go ahead and get the epidural around 6:00. I was in major pain before they finally got it started and was cursing that IV bag they had to get completely in me before they could start the epidural. My contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and off the chart. I could hardly sit still long enough for them to get the needle in my back because I was in so much pain. After they got it in, I felt immediate relief. I told the anesthesiologist that I know why women really like them after they get their epidurals...LOL Anyway, by 7:00 I was 7.5 centimeters dilated. By 9:00 I was fully dilated and ready to push. The nurse informed me that it was time to start pushing and my friends Selena and Amy left the room. I was only going to have Clint and my mom in the room for the delivery, but the next thing I knew I was pushing. So, my sister and Teresa got to stay for the whole thing too. I pushed for about 45-50 minutes and at 9:55 p.m. Summer was out and on my belly. I don't want to skip over the part about how hard pushing is...WOW! I thought it would be easy with the epidural, but it wasn't. By the time we could see her head, I was feeling a lot of pressure and a little pain. At this point, Clint started tearing up and becoming emotional. It was so sweet to see his reaction to her. They got the mirror out so I could see the top of her hairy head. I couldn't watch the whole time though because it didn't look to me like I was making much progress with every push. Everyone was telling me how great I was doing, but I just couldn't see it. So, I closed my eyes while I pushed. My epidural wore off immediately after delivery, and I had to get a local anesthetic before the doctor could finish sewing me up (OUCH!!!). Anyway, Summer's head was out for a good 2-3 minutes before the rest of her body. She wasn't crying or anything and I asked the doctor why (all the while freaking out inside). He said she was still breathing like she had been for the last 9 months (through the umbilical cord). I was relieved and a few pushes later she was all the way out. I had them put her on my belly immediately so we could have that bonding moment. I rubbed her hand and looked at her. My eyes teared up and I was filled with a joy that is indescribable. I highly recommend this. It is much better than them taking your baby to the other side of the room for a while before you actually get to look her over which is what they did next. I was left there to be sewn up and birth the placenta. Clint was so awesome throughout the whole day. He rubbed my leg while he counted during the pushing stage. This was nice because it helped take my mind off the pain I was in. He also stayed by my side a few minutes after she was born and then asked if he could go over to where she was. I thought that was really thoughtful of him to ask and not just desert me. Of course, I wanted him to go see her so I told him to go on. He came back to watch the placenta come out. All in all, she was worth every ounce of pain. She left me with a few painful reminders which have still not gone away...LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am soo happy for you guys! It sounds like you are doing great and had a good experience. The joy you must be feeling must be overwhelming. Well, congrats again on your new family and your precious Summer!

Anonymous said...

AWW SHES PERFECT