Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My First Scare

Yesterday I decided to take Summer to the doctor because her belly button is not healing right.  Her umbilical cord fell off on May 16, but it was not all the way healed.  So, I kept putting alcohol on it, but it was worrying me so I called the doctor.  They told me to go ahead and bring her in so they could look at it.  The doctor was not sure what was wrong with it, so he took her to another pediatrician to have him look at it.  They are not sure, but they think she might have a patent urachus.  This means that her umbilical cord did not close off correctly, so her bladder is leaking out of her belly button.  So, they told me to take her to a pediatric surgeon who specializes in this.  Of course, my eyes started tearing up immediately hearing there might be something wrong with my baby.  The doctor said it is not a big deal though.  They would just have to go in and close the opening.  He also told me to stop using the alcohol as he thinks it is hurting her (I thought this too before I took her in).  So, her belly button is kind of icky right now.  I am anxious to hear what the doctor says tomorrow.  Hopefully, it will not be what they think it is, but if it is maybe her belly button will heal up quicker once they get it fixed.  I guess we'll see tomorrow.

On a better note, Summer had gained 1 pound since our last doctor visit.  She now weighs 8 lb. 6 oz.  The doctor said she must be eating good since she has gained this much weight in less than 2 weeks.  Everything else looks good, so unless something else comes up we don't have to go back until she is 2 months old so she can get shots.  That should be fun........NOT!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww..Sorry to hear that, but I’m sure she will be okay. Good luck and let us know how it went.
It’s great that she is gaining weight. Are you breastfeeding? If so how is that working for you? Just curious. It is one of the things I am nervous about. Take care!