Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Baby Care and Safety

Last night Clint and I attended a Baby Care and Safety class.  We were the only couple that showed up, so we got one on one attention from our instructor.  It was neat because it was all about us and what we wanted to learn.  We learned how to bathe and diaper our baby.  We also learned what to do if the baby is sick...like if the temperature is 100.4 or higher we should call the doctor and don't give the baby any medicine without calling the doctor first.  We learned that the baby crib shouldn't have anything other than the baby in it...no blankets or anything else.  She also said they don't want you to use bumpers anymore, but I don't think we will follow this advice.  She told us how to dress the baby so she will be comfortable and not too hot or cold.  We also learned some ways to make our house safer for the baby.  The class briefly touched on breastfeeding, but we had told her that we are attending a breastfeeding class next week so she didn't really get into it.  She did show us how to hold the baby when we are feeding her.  She said we (Clint) should introduce a bottle around 3 weeks so when I go to school this summer the baby will be used to Clint feeding her.  She said I should probably not even be in the room when he feeds her so she won't reject the bottle and want me.  I had a dream about breastfeeding her last night so I guess the class got me thinking about that more.  Anyways, we are both glad we went because now we feel more prepared for when she comes. 

No comments: