Friday, February 19, 2010

Make-A-Wish

Summer's wish was granted yesterday by Make-A-Wish. We will be traveling to Orlando in 8 days (yes, we are counting down here!!!) to the wonderful world of Disney. Summer was completely surprised by the party. She thought we were going to Wal-mart and had just stopped somewhere to sign a paper. I got cold chills and almost sprung a few tears walking down the hall of Keller Williams (who raised the money for her wish) to the training room where the party was held. The walls had Disney characters all over them and we even had a red "carpet" leading us to the room. She still had no idea what was going on when we got to the room. I didn't think I was going to be able to pull off the surprise because of all the phone calls I had in the hours before we left, but I did. She picked up Shamu on the way into the room and was a little overwhelmed with all the people there. There were lots of people she didn't know (the agents who helped raise the money and some of the Make-A-Wish staff), but there were also a few of her friends there (Willow, Mason, Harper, Liliana, & Laila). One surprise for me was the framed picture of Summer you see in the background. It has her first autograph on it and I was so happy to get it back since I didn't even think she could write her name at that point.
Her sister, Amanda, and niece also made it which was great. Summer was really happy to see them. We actually followed them into the parking lot, and I had Clint get them in the building before we got out of the car so she really would be surprised. Lexie was her usual adorable self. That girl has stolen part of my heart for sure!
Summer sported her princess crown for a bit, but just long enough for a few pictures. I don't know if it is the lack of hair that makes them bother her head, but she never keeps them on for too long. Usually I end up with it on hoping she'll want it back (or as you'll see below - Minnie Mouse ears). I should learn that trick doesn't work, but maybe I just enjoy being a princess too sometimes. :)

Annie and C'Na were Summer's wish granters and they gave her a big surprise when they told her she was going to Disney. She keeps asking if it is time to go yet. I'm glad she is so excited and I know it will be a world of fun. The weather is supposed to be in the upper 60's which will be perfect. We both can't wait!!! Even Clint is excited to go.
They also surprised her with a few gifts. Here she is explaining that she already has a slap bracelet (although it is not princess). She never lets details slip.... It seems Lexie is finally at the age where she is ready to open presents. She came right up when Summer started and wanted to see what was in the bags. She is just getting so big herself.
They served us pizza, cookies, and cupcakes with pink icing. They had two yummy chocolate peanut butter cakes from Sams, one of which is in my kitchen completely uncut. I am contemplating running it by Children's hospital and giving it to the nurses. Of course, I'll probably just end up slicing into it later and completely blowing any kind of diet I might be on. I did not and will not eat any cookies though which I really look good, but I have given up cookies for lent.
Lexie's favorite food at the party was the Cheetos. But, I gave her a little treat when I let her taste the peanut butter icing on the cake. She really liked it too and forgot about the Cheetos for a few minutes. But, then she was right back to wanting them again. She left the party a happy camper with a Cheeto in her hand and two balloon tied around her leg. Genius idea!!! At least for kids who don't run, then it might be a bit dangerous. Wish I would've gotten a picture of it.

It was a wonderful day, and we are so blessed to have this wish granted for Summer. Everything will be taken care of thanks to Make-A-Wish and Keller Williams. We've even got some money for souvenirs. I see Mickey Mouse ears in our future!!! I want to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you" to everyone who made this trip possible. Eight more days......and a million more "Is it time to go to Disney yet?"

10 comments:

Demaris said...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!! I am so happy for you guys and hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Susie said...

I am so happy for you all. You all will have a wonderful time. It is a fun place to be a kid again.

Molly said...

I am so excited for you all!!! We can't wait until it is our turn to surprise David and go meet Mickey.

KK said...

I'm so glad. I'm so excited you'd think I was going :) You all deserve it (and so much more)!

Summer said...

That is AWESOME! You guys deserve this sooo much and she is going to have a blast at disney! She is such a cutie and I love the pic of her in the princess crown! Take lots of pics!
Summer :0)

Stephanie said...

How awesome! I hope you guys have a great time and don't forget to take tons and tons of pics!

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness, that is so wonderful! You guys deserve it, and I hope you have the best time!! What a blessing!

Christina said...

Amazing!!!
She will love Disney, I did when I was her age and still do, it's still my favorite place on the planet.

Bridgett said...

What an amazing surprise for Summer. Goodness knows you guys deserve this trip.

So excited for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer-My name is Gary Worley, and I am one of the founders of Diggity Kids. Please call me at your earliest convenience at 877-799-9699. Thanks very much.

Gary