Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Turkey & cheese please

It seems no matter how many times I suggest cereal or toast or pancakes, I get the same answer. "No." Summer just does not like breakfast food except for the occasional poptart or muffins. She does like, as she says, "my favorite turkey" or colby jack cheese. She will sometimes eat fruit, but never a banana. She ate them all the time when she was younger. I don't know what happened with them, but one day she just stopped eating them. Today, I offered her some granola with her grapefruit, but she said she didn't like it. She did eat the half of a grilled cheese I put in front of her although I've been suggesting them for weeks. Today, I didn't ask; I just made it. We could play the asking game all morning, and I'm just not fond of it anymore.

Yesterday was the 2nd day of preschool and the first words out of Summer's mouth when I woke her up were "I don't feel like going to school." She followed that with, "I think I'm going to be sleepy all day." Oh boy, it's going to be a long year if she keeps that up. Fortunately, when I picked her up, she said she had a good time at school. She got to cut out a lot of shapes and color. She also had a great Bible verse they made out of some of the shapes they cut. The words on the shapes read "Children obey your parents." I am really liking what they are teaching so far! I am trying to teach her word recognition too by using her newly created art. Double yay!

During our Bible story yesterday, she came up with a new twist on how Jesus could've healed the lady who touched the hem of his garment. His clothes were "magic." Yep, that's what she said. When I tried to explain that is was her faith in Jesus that healed her, she dismissed it and said she thought it was what she said. I'm trying to get the word "can't" out of her vocabulary. It drives me crazy because what it really means is I don't want to try. Why do they start off not believing in themselves? Or wanting to put for the effort it takes to learn to do things? We will definitely be working on self-confidence for years to come.

No comments: