Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hallucinating and such

Yesterday was by far the roughest chemo day we have had so far. Even with the pre-med of Benadryl, she had a reaction to the Iphos. She ended up biting her thumb and causing it to bleed which warranted a band aid and no more sucking. That was before 1:00 p.m. She briefly napped after the Benadryl, but kept waking up in a fuss. When I got back to the hospital, she was upset and I got her to calm down, but it took a few minutes. That didn't last long and she ended up getting some Ativan which should've knocked her out. It didn't. Not even close. She had been twitching and seizing since getting off the Iphos. so that is why they gave her the Ativan hoping she would be able to relax. No such luck. She didn't have control over her bodily movements. She was upset because she lost her thumb. The doctor ordered a CT scan of her brain and EEG to make sure her brain was okay. It was.

We played Pretty, Pretty Princess, but she couldn't even hold the pieces of jewelry or put them on. She could barely stay sitting up. It was not a pretty sight, but I was trying not to get too freaked out. Clint picked this time to come and visit us. He was pretty upset seeing Summer in such a helpless manner.

My mom came by to visit/help after work. We watched Summer pitch a fit to ride her tricycle for a while. She couldn't walk much less operate a tricycle. She didn't understand that though. She just wanted to ride. It took forever to get her calmed down and even longer to get them to give her more meds. I don't know why it was so difficult to get them to give her something else to calm her, but they finally did after 8:00 p.m. More Ativan. It didn't help this time either. After my mom left she started hallucinating. She saw a crab, smiley faces on the floor, a castle on a white blanket, a dog house above my head. She was really tripping out. Reaching for things in the sky, staring intensely at the palm of her hand, running her fingers on the screen of her DVD. It must have been in 3D in her mind. I was tired and ready for bed, but she wouldn't/couldn't fall asleep. I bet I told her fifty times to "lay down" which she did, briefly. Then she would sit back up and make me nervous, but I was sleepy so I just kept telling her to lay down. She wanted to play with her toys. She wanted to watch TV. She wanted to ride the tricycle. All I wanted her to do was sleep. I even took the band aid off of her thumb hoping she would fall asleep if she could suck it. Nope. She didn't go to sleep until after 2 a.m. which is very unusual for this cycle. She usually sleeps all day. I guess her brain was overstimulated or something.

It was a crazy day and I am soooo glad it is over. We only have one more of those cycles left. They may lower the last dose of that cycle by 20%, but it is up to Dr. Gratias. I just hope she doesn't have as bad a reaction as she did this time. She only slept about four hours last night and she is still awake. No naps today and she is still going pretty strong. I hope tonight is not a repeat of last night. If so, Daddy's got Summer duty. :)

Her ANC was over 2000 this morning. Her platelets were around 90,000 and her hemoglobin was above 10. I hope these numbers don't plummet too fast. We are not due back in the clinic until Monday, although the doctor said I could come Thursday if I want to. Seeing as we have been in the hospital since last Thursday I think Monday is soon enough for me.

Shots start tomorrow. We started the swishing with Perodex today to hopefully keep the mouth sores to a minimum. Please pray that we evade a fever this cycle. It would be a first, but anything is possible. In the mean time, we are going to try to steer clear of public places. We did go to a birthday party tonight, but I think that will be it until her numbers are back up. I just hope it is as easy to do that as it is to say it. Wish us luck!!!


Stephanie said...

I am soooo sorry you guys are having to go through this!

I can't imagine what it must be like to watch her when she's in that situation. I'm praying for lots of rest tonight!!!!! and a better day tomorrow :)

Stephanie said...

Oh my, I am so sorry she had such a horrible reaction. That must have been so difficult to watch. I am praying that next time it will go better.

Susie said...

Oh I feel so sorry for you. Praying the cycle goes well and she has a better tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Summer- praying that today is a better day for you sweetie. Surrounding you with love and prayers.

God bless


Bridgett said...

Oh wow. Sounds awful. :(

I'm crushed you guys are having to go through this. Poor Summer AND poor mommy.

Hope she's feeling better now.


Stephycce said...

Oh no I'm so sorry hun!
Hoping tonight goes better.


Anonymous said...


The Prayer Warriors at Angel_Wings
are holding a Prayer Vigil on Wednesday,
August 19th, between 8-9 pm EST for
all the families on our Angel_Wings
Prayer Lists and our Angel families
of children, teens and adults who
have gained their angel wings.



Anonymous said...

We're thinking and praying for you, Summer!! I hope that your body reacts to the next cycle better, and I hope that your thumb gets to feeling better too!! Sending you lots of hugs and kisses and prayers!!

Kathie said...

We're thinking and praying for you, Summer!! I hope that your body reacts to the next cycle better, and I hope that your thumb gets to feeling better too!! Sending you lots of hugs and kisses and prayers!!