Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Counts low, but spirits up!

Summer had an appt. this morning at the clinic for a possible admission for cycle #7. Her platelets are still too low, 38,000, so we have the rest of the week off. WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!!! Another week of feeling good is always welcomed around here. She is up to 33.3 pounds. Hemoglobin was 11 and white blood count was 1.9, both are good numbers. Her ANC is 500 which I thought was low, but the doctor said she can go fun places. We'll have to see about that. Maybe fun outdoor places or places where we know everyone is healthy. I'm not so sure I'm going to spring for Chuck E. Cheese though. It has already crossed my mind that we could go as soon as they open and I could take a can of Lysol with us. I know. Shame on me, but I have already admitted I'm not the homebody type. I like to go, go, go and so does Summer. I see so much of myself in her it is crazy. She uses the same language as me, and no I don't mean English. We use words like crazy, insane, funky. Oh my, what am I teaching my daughter? Hopefully to have a carefree and fun spirit, at least that is my intention. I sure don't want to raise a sour puss!

We had a BIG hug on Sunday when we were reunited after a three day vacation from each other. It was awesome. I didn't think she was going to let go, and it felt so good I didn't want to let go either. I just love those moments. She surprised me with a bird house she had painted for me. It shaped like a church and is pink and purple. I'll have to take some pics when I get it to its place in this home. It's still in the bag and need a clear coat to seal the paint. I have a feeling it is going to end up outside on the balcony.

Yesterday, we had a cookout up at the lake with some friends. Summer played really good with the eleven year old girl, Katie, that was there. It was nice because I got to grill in peace. :) After lunch, the girls and I played in the hot tub which was like pool water since we had just filled it up with the water hose. I was chased through the yard with buckets full of cold water. Then Summer reminded us we weren't playing with her. LOL I think she enjoyed watching though. She didn't want the bucket dumped on her head that was for sure. However, Katie did dump it on her a few times. She took them pretty good and didn't have a major melt down so I didn't reprimand Katie. For dinner, the girls helped me make home made pizzas. Katie's pizza had very little sauce and a lot of cheese. Summer's had lots of sauce and just a little cheese. I think Summer's was preferred by everyone, but Katie. I guess she's going to be a "good cooker" too when she grows up. :p Last night, she had a major melt down at bed time. She didn't want to stay there, but would have preferred we returned to the condo. Not sure why it was such a big deal, but we didn't cave and stayed at the lake. It was nice being out there, no temptations to leave the house except to walk down to see the neighbors. We may go out there again later this week. I hope she is cool with that. LOL

I foresee a nap in her future today. She got up just after six this morning. Plus, she is saying the carrots and broccoli in her pasta don't taste good. I only put in a few and told her she had to eat them which she agreed to do after she finished the noodles. Maybe I should've just fed her myself then I could have snuck them in with bites of pasta. Instead, I am eating lunch at the computer trying to get this blog updated. I think it was worth it. Why is it though that when I tell her she has to eat them or take a nap she says, "My belly hurts. I need my Teddy. I'm tired." Vegetable bites now in with only a few tears shed. Noodles and chicken refilled. We'll see if she eats the one carrot I put in there under it all. (nope!)

Not sure what the week ahead holds, but hopefully some times with friends. Lets hope everyone stays healthy so that can happen. I also foresee lots of cartoons now that we have them 24/7. Yay for satellite TV! I am also going to see about getting "The Sound of Music" for us to watch. I think Summer might enjoy it...if she gives it a chance. I'll just have to tell her it is a "kid" movie.

Oh yeah, the scan showed her heart is 55%. Not sure what that means, but it means it is not too damaged. I did find out that number is equal to 30% on the echo cardiogram. Not much clearer, huh? I'm not very good (or interested) in asking the hard questions or getting specific details. The doctor didn't seem very concerned so I took that as a good sign. I know they are going to use the heart protectant and give the full dose of Doxyrubicin. If her counts recoup, cycle #7 will start next Tuesday. Don't hold your breath though. If I've learned anything over the past few months, it is that the future is never certain.


3 comments:

Susie said...

Glad to see that Summer is doing good.Try to enjoy your week off. Praying that she feels like doing things.

Molly said...

I am not a homebody either. More to the point, neither is the baby. Makes it hard when the sick one has to stay in.

Bridgett said...

Yay! Another week of freedom. :)
I think that's great. Just gives her more time to gain some weight and get stronger before this final round.

Have a wonderful week!!!

XOXO