Monday, January 30, 2006

The Baby Blanket

Last week Clint and I went to Wal-Mart, and I remembered that I wanted to get some stuff to make a baby blanket.  So, we looked at the books (mostly me looking and Clint pacing the aisle), and I found a book that had lessons and a blanket that we both liked.  It is kind of star shaped so I thought it would be pretty hard, but it looks cool so I decided to give it a try.  Then we picked out the colors for the yarn.  I let Clint do this, and he picked pink and off white.  So, that night I started the lessons and finished them in a couple of days.  Then I started on the blanket.  I think I redid the center 3 or 4 times until I thought it looked right.  Then I went onto the 2nd row and was pretty much at a standstill because I couldn't understand the directions.  If you have ever croucheted before, you know the directions don't have many nouns or verbs.  They are pretty much just numbers and abbreviations.  So, I went back to Wal-Mart to seek the help of someone with some experience.  The lady there was very helpful, and I made sure I had a good start before I left there.  Since then I have been working on it in bed at night and in the mornings if I wake up early and can't go back to sleep or in the afternoon if I am watching my soaps.  Clint is getting a little jealous of the blanket...it seems I might be giving it a little too much attention.  But, it is so addictive that it is all I want to do if we are sitting in front of the TV or laying in bed (I even did one of the lessons in the car the other day).  It is looking good, and I really like the colors Clint picked.  But, it is coming along SLOWLY.  It is going to take hours and hours to finish.  I am leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow, so I will have a couple of hours to work on it non-stop...that is if my hands don't cramp up too bad.  I am sure I will work on it every night there before I go to sleep...especially since Clint is not going with me.  :(  I will really miss him while I am gone.  But, I get to see my dad and my inlaws so I am excited about that.  I'm sure I won't have too much time alone, so I won't be lonely.  They are all excited to get to see me too.  Anyways, I am going to try to get a picture of the blanket right now so everyone can see the fruit of my labor.  Only 15 weeks to go, so I better get back to the blanket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see pictures of this blanket. I will have to get you to make my baby one, one of these days :)

Anonymous said...

I love to crochet!  I know exactly what you mean about it being addictive.  And baby blankets...well, they are just so much fun!  :)