Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Home school

This morning Summer did her schoolwork without a fuss. She did some scissor sheets and painted by numbers. Yesterday, on the other hand, was not pretty. I'm not sure if I waited too late in the day to start the lesson I planned, but it is possible her brain was too tired at that point (around lunch time). She practiced the lowercase letter "e" for the second time and for some reason she had it stuck in her head that she "can't" do it. Despite me reassuring her that she could if she tried, she protested and refused to follow my directions or the direction of the arrows on the paper. I hope F is a better letter for us. So far, she hasn't put up any resistance to writing A, B, C, D, 1 & 2. With 3 there was a little self-doubt too, but we overcame it without a standoff. I sent her to take a nap yesterday when she refused to try. After about 10 or 15 minutes of laying in bed, she decided she would try, but not wholeheartedly. I'm going to have my hands full if she continues with the self-doubt, or unwillingness to try things she doesn't want or think she can do. Maybe I will be able to maintain the patience necessary to teach her successfully. Lord willing anyway. We have over 10 preschool books to work through together so that she will be prepared for school next year. Usually she loves doing them and I hope that continues in the months ahead. I think the key may be in timing and making sure she is not too tired when we work through them. Despite the frustration that can accompany teaching a young one new things, I am very happy to be the one doing it. I love to see her learning and growing. I love having her with me everyday. And, she loves it too!

3 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Cool! Preschool is pretty tame as far as the educational aspects go. Corinne picks and chooses most of what we work on and a lot of it is in art projects that I sneak "education" into. I don't force her to "learn" anything too much. It's all gravy at this point as far as education goes, so I know she's ahead of the game. I'ms ure Summer is, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Summer, hope that you have a good weekend sweetie! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

God bless

Debbie/Angel_Wings

Colleen said...

Hi, it's so interesting to read your experiences with home schooling. I admire people who do that!! I think it must take a lot of patience and a lot of praying for patience but as you say, I'm sure the end result is worth it! :)

Summer is such a truly beautiful little girl. What a blessing to have in your life...praying for her health and happiness.

Colleen