Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Trip to the Beach

We got back from Florida yesterday.  It was a long ride, but Summer did good the entire ride.  There were no (that's right zero) crying spells - - YEAH!!! 

 I think we all had a good time in Florida, but I found out I am the only beach lover.  Summer does not really like the sand and the ocean was too cold for her so I didn't even attempt to get her in that.  I did carry her out to the waves, and we did get hit by a semi-big wave which splashed water on our faces.  We did not get really wet though. 

I, however, did enjoy the beach and the ocean.  Although it would have been a little more fun to have someone go into the ocean with me.  I am not even sure if Clint touched the ocean.  I think Amanda and Amber might have gotten into the ocean one day, but it wasn't really Amanda's thing either.  I guess that is one thing the two sisters have in common; they both dislike sand.  I am hoping that I will be able to change Summer's mind when we go back in the July.  If not, she will have the pool to swim in with her cousins and grandparents...and of course me.  But, I hope to be on the beach for a couple of hours every day...along with my dad and brother, I hope. 

I got a little bit of a tan in my three days on the beach.  My back and buns got burned the second day because I was practicing Jazzercise on the beach...and I put on sunscreen a little too late.  So, I did not get to lay out on my back on the last day.  I did enjoy the weather.  It was perfect - not too hot, but warm and sunny...not a cloud in the sky.  Heaven on earth!  Enough about me...

One night Clint and I pushed Summer up the beach in her stroller after we went to eat dinner.  We had to carry the stroller over the soft sand on the beach, but when we got to the packed sand at the shoreline it was smooth sailing.  Summer had popcorn shrimp for the first time.  I broke it up in to smaller pieces for her...since she still has only two teeth.  Afterwards, I found out she could've been allergic to shellfish, but luckily she was not. 

Summer was a pretty good girl the whole trip.  I tried to keep to her regular sleeping schedule even though there was an hour time difference.  It worked out pretty good.  She slept all night every night and was up shortly after 6:00 CST every morning.  She took her naps.  Although they were not as long as usual, she woke up happy.  She likes to play a game with her bear when she wakes up.  When we would open the door to her "room" (aka coat closet...LOL), she would usually be standing with her bear in her hand.  Then when we would go for her, she would fall down and laugh.  She would tease us a couple of times and hand us the bear.  She did not always want to immediately get out.  It was cute. 

She is cute!!!  She really lights up my whole world.  Every day is a new experience.  She learns things and does more and more every day.  It is truly amazing to watch her grow.  Yesterday, she said "shoe."  She still does not say words on call, but she is learning new words all the time.  She knows a lot more words than she can say. 

Summer and Amanda spent some quality time together on our trip which was very nice.  Amanda and her friend entertained Summer almost the entire ride --both ways (about 16 hours minus naps).  They had her laughing which made them laugh.  That is probably the most time they have ever spent together, or ever will for that matter.  The girls also "played" with Summer for a while every day.  Summer listened to music with them in their room and showed them how to dance.  They briefly spent some time together on the beach, Summer screaming the whole time.  Did I mention she did not like the beach?  They took her for a walk so Amanda could shop for a bathing suit.  I was very happy with the time they got to spend with each other.  It felt good to see them having a good time together.

Okay, so that pretty much wraps up our trip.  Of course I left out a few details, but they have nothing to do with Summer!

P.S.  Pics to follow on Monday I hope!

No comments: