Monday, December 11, 2006

She found the presents

Today Summer decided it was time to open presents.  She started opening one of my nephew's presents so I decided to go ahead and let her have one of hers.  I didn't really think she would get it open, but I was wrong.  She did manage to get about a third of the paper off and that was really all she was interested in. Once she got it off, she proceeded to put it in her mouth and try to eat it.  She didn't really even give a hoot about the present, the paper was what she wanted.  I ran and got the video camera to get it on tape--her 1st time opening a present.  I also took a few pics which are on the camera out in the car.  I am too lazy to get up and go get it right now, so I will post them later. 

She is also starting to "talk".  She has been making noises and cooing for a few months, but now it is like she is talking--just in a language I can't understand.  It is cute though.  She goes on and on...I just wish I knew what she was saying.  Tonight in the car it did sound like she was saying dadadadada (that's what Clint heard) along with other similar sounds.  I think I am going to try to teach her some basic words in sign language so we will be able to communicate in some way until she actually learns to talk.  I hope I can be consistent enough for her to actually learn a few words.  I have been doing "eat" and "drink" for a few weeks, but I really need to be more consistent with it.  I am also going to try "more" and "love" and "bath" and "bed" for now.  I may try a few others if I see a word that I think would be beneficial.  I guess I haven't really got it all figured out so I will just try to play it by ear, but the key will be for me to be consistent.  I have at least got a few websites on my Favorites that I can refer to for the correct signs although I read you can just make up your own signs for words.  It makes more sense to use the correct signs though.

Hmmmmm...what else???  She still just has the one tooth.  She is crawling around a lot more and getting into more things.  I guess you could say she is exploring more now.  I have to keep a close eye on her or else she will definitely get into something she shouldn't.  Have I mentioned how much she loves paper?  I swear I think she can smell it or something.  You would think it tasted like candy or chocolate or something the way she loves to put it in her mouth.  Sometimes when she crawls, she straightens her legs out like she is trying to stand up.  It kind of looks like she is doing a push up with her bottom up in the air.  She is getting to where if you hold her hands, she will pull herself up and stand up.  She doesn't really walk yet, but she will stand there for a while and may take a step or two.  I am NOT ready for her to start walking yet.  It will only be a matter of time though.  I am enjoying being a mom...I never imagined it would be so rewarding, but having a happy little girl to spend my days with is awesome.  I am so lucky to have Clint and Summer in my life (and all my other family members). 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sloan is also cutting teeth. She has two at the bottom that just barely broke the skin.
I always wondered about the sign language. It seems like a good idea. Let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I got our card yesterday, what a cute family :) I wanted to send out picture cards, but I ran out of time . . . . I am aleast going to try to get my cards out . . .