Monday, July 17, 2006

No Poop!!

Last Thursday I had to give Summer a suppository.  She had not pooped since Saturday night.  I had called my mom, sister and a friend for advice, but nothing they suggested worked (taking the babies temperature :) ...mixing Karo Syrup with a bottle...soaking in a warm bath).  So, I called the doctor on Tuesday or Wednesday and he said it is okay for breastfed babies to go up to 7 days without pooping.  He also said that if she was uncomfortable/in pain, I could give her a suppository.  Well, after 5 days, I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to get the poop out of her.  So, I went to Wal-Mart and bought the suppository and gave it to her.  Two minutes later, business had been taken care of and I was happy!  Yesterday was going on 3 days of no pooping, and I was thinking, "How often are you supposed to give suppositories?"  But, on the way into Wal-Mart, she had a blowout.  Thank goodness I was prepared with extra clothes.  Clint and I were actually going in to get some baby juice and baby food since we were told that giving her juice my help her poop.  We went ahead and bought some juice and fruit anyway.  So, I might start giving her fruit and see how she does.  I know the doctor doesn't want you feeding your baby anything but breastmilk (or formula) until they are six months old, but my mom and a few other people say to go ahead....just don't tell the doctor.   She is already taking rice cereal at night with her bottle, and she seems to be doing fine with that.  Although, I initially thought the no pooping might be due to the cereal.  Before I try the fruit, I might actually try to feed her the rice cereal with a spoon and see how she does.  It makes me a little nervous because it just seems like she is growing up so fast and I don't want to rush her, but she's got to eat at some point, right?

No comments: