Saturday, September 1, 2007

My pride and joy

We have had a pretty good week except for the whining that Summer has started doing.  It is frustrating sometimes because she can't tell me what she wants and I can't figure it out.  So, we have to go from one thing to the next until I can correctly guess what she wants or distract her by finding something even better than what she wanted in the first place.  Either is fine with me as long as the whining STOPS -- which it does not usually when I want it to.  I still haven't figured out how to stop the whining, but maybe it is just a phase and she'll move onto something else soon.  If she gets too whiny and won't stop, I will just put her in her bed until she calms down.  Sometimes she is just tired and needs a nap, but other times she will just calm down in a few minutes and play in her bed.  It has music and a light she can cut on.  She really likes that I think.  Sometimes she will hum the songs if I start singing.  I don't even know the words to some of the songs, but it doesn't matter to her.  She likes music a lot. 

Today we were dropping her sister off at the hospital, and Summer was dancing to the music when we pulled up.  The kids were telling her good-bye and trying to get her to say their names, and she just said "Bye" and started moving her head to the beat.  It was cute.  She did say her sister's name for the first time today.  It is probably only the 4th or 5th time she has seen her in the past 4 months so she does not really know her.  Amanda does seem to enjoy Summer's company more now that Summer has a personality and can talk.  I did not hear her say one mean thing to her this morning which was nice.  Amanda used to get very frustrated with Summer when she would make any noise at all in the car.  It will be interesting to see how they interact in the coming years since there is such a big age difference (16 years).

Summer is such cutie.  I guess she gets it from me...LOL.  She got her 8th tooth last week...12 more to go!  I think her molars will be coming in soon.  I felt some knots on her gums a couple of weeks ago, but she hasn't let me back in in a while.  She is very much in control of her body and mind and will not do anything she does not want to.  For example, if I want to feed her some yogurt, she will not let me unless it my yogurt and wants a bite.  She often clamps her mouth closed when I try to feed her because she is a big girl now and wants to do it herself (very rarely does she not actually want the food).  If I try to put my finger in her mouth, clamp down and head turns to avoid my finger.  If she does not want me to do something or a I suggest something she doesn't like, she does not say no.  She shakes her head and makes this noise that starts with a "M."  It is very apparent she means no when she does this.  I don't mind it when she does this since I really do not want her saying no yet.  Plus, the fact that she does communicate with me and others is something I am very grateful for.  I am so lucky to have such a healthy, smart and beautiful little girl.  I love her so much! 

No comments: