Sunday, September 3, 2006

She's a thumb sucker!

This past week flew by again...before I know it Summer will be all grown up.  The other day Clint and I were shopping and they had bathing suits on sale.  So we went ahead and got Summer one for next year.  It has a matching hat, and we got her some sunglasses too.  She is going to be so adorable!  Anyway, Clint was like, "Is she going to be walking next year?"  And I said, "Yes."  Then I thought about that for a second and I was like, "Oh my goodness she is going to be walking next year!!!!"  It's crazy to think that she will actually be walking by the time next summer rolls around.  She is growing so fast and I am trying to soak it all up while she will still let me cradle her in my arms.  Most of the time she likes to be sitting up where she can look around and see what is going on, but every now and then she will let me hold her in my arms.  The other day she was really fussy...and tired...but she would not give it up and fall asleep. So, I picker her up and sat in my rocker and held her close.  She went to sleep and I just watched her sleep in my arms for about 30 minutes.  She is so precious.  I know I don't have much longer to do this, so I don't mind rocking her to sleep every now and then.  Most of the time she goes to sleep on her own.  I just lay her in the bed and she either falls right to sleep or pops her thumb in her mouth and sucks it while she falls asleep.  She is not a finger sucker anymore.  She is a thumb sucker!  I don't really like it, but she looks so cute when she does it.  And if I take it out and replace it with a pacifier, she just gets upset.  I guess I will just have to deal with it for now and hope she doesn't do it when she is awake too. 

Summer spent the night with my mom on Friday night.  When I went to get her on Saturday, I stayed and spent some time with the family.  My nieces and nephew were there so it was good to get to see them for a while.  Anyway, my mom took Summer out on the porch and sat down where she could watch the dogs play.  Well, Summer just thought the dogs were hilarious.  She was laughing at them and it was so cute.  I wish I would've had my video camera there, but of course I left it in the car I didn't drive.  Oh well, hopefully next time she is laughing like that I will have it on me because it is one of the cutest things she does right now.  She also got her first 4-wheeler ride while she was there and seemed to enjoy it.  My nieces and nephew got there just as my mom was finishing up riding Summer around so of course they wanted to ride too.  They always have fun at Memaw's house and I know Summer enjoys her time there too.  It is good to see the kids enjoying their grandma.  I know some of my best memories as a child were at my Memaw's house spending time with my cousins. 

Let's see..........what else is new?  hmmmm  Oh yeah, my mom was trying to get Summer to grab her feet and put them in her mouth.  Well, it seems she succeeded in teaching her to grab her feet because this morning when she was playing with one of her play gyms she grabbed her feet.  She has been looking at them and kicking her toys with them for a while, but now she knows how to grab them. 

Also, Summer ate 6 oz. bottles when she was at my mom's house.  Most of the time she breastfeeds, so I don't know how much she eats, but when I give her a bottle it is a 4 oz. bottle.  But, she finished two 6 oz. bottles on Saturday, at different times of course, so I guess she is eating more now. 

One thing about breastfeeding....if you don't have your baby around to eat, make sure you have a pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My mom accidentally took my breast pump the other day when she was getting Summer's things out of my car.  So, Friday night around midnight I was in pain.  My breasts were so full I thought they were going to explode.  I didn't have a pump at the house, so I had to get in the shower and try to relieve myself with my hands.  Let me tell you, they do NOT work as good as a pump!!!  I had to get up again around 7:00 and do it again.  By the time I got to my mom's house around 11:00 on Saturday morning, I was really hurting.  I walked in her front door and she was holding Summer for me to get her, but all I wanted was my breast pump.  I quickly found it and got it going!  I pumped 11 oz. out and I could've gotten even more.  You may not know just how much that it, but when I pump, I usually get 4 oz. out.  So, that is almost 3 times as much as normal........OUCH!!!  Anyways, I will not make that mistake again. 

We gave Amanda her 1st car on Monday.  She was really surprised and loves her car.  It was mine and Summer's 1st time to ride with her.  It has a 5 speed manual transmission which she has been learning to drive on her dad's truck for the past month.  Well, it kept stalling which can be quite jerky.  Summer thought it was funny.......Clint did not.  Anyway, that was an experience and we made it home safely so that is what is important. 

Last night we went down to the neighbors house to take Summer swimming so Clint could see how much she liked it.  I had taken her earlier this week and she liked it, but I didn't take the camera and her daddy didn't get to see her.  So, I wanted to go back before it gets too cold.  The water was definitely cooler than it was earlier in the week, but Summer didn't seem to mind.  She likes splashing the water and doesn't care when it gets on her face.  We had a hard time getting her to look at the camera because she really likes to look at the water.  Even when she got out she was still looking at the water.  We tried to get her to look at the camera by shaking some keys, but it didn't work that well.  After we got dried off, we went and sat on their swings and talked.  Beverly, my neighbor, was holding Summer while we were swinging.  Summer looked around for a while, but then fell asleep on her lap.  We kept talking and it was getting dark so I said it's time to go home.  Summer opened her eyes when I said that and it was weird how she knew it was time for her to get up.  We had a good time down there and the neighbors enjoy seeing her.  Now that it is not so hot outside, it is nice to take Summer outdoors for a while in the evenings.  She seems to enjoy it.

Okay, I can't think of anything else right now.  So, I am going to try to get the house cleaned up a bit while Summer is still napping.

No comments: