Sunday, February 11, 2007

9 month check up

Summer had her 9 month check up on Thursday afternoon.  She is a whopping 20 lb. 7 oz.  and 28.25 inches tall now.  She is still in the 75th percentile for weight and height...she's a big girl. 

They had to prick her finger to check her hemoglobin while we were there (12.3 I think).  Surprisingly, she did not cry.  But, she did bleed...and bleed...and bleed...right through the band aid and all over everything.  Clint and I finally got it to stop bleeding while we were waiting for the doctor.  We found some gauze and more band aids in a drawer.  The first bandaid I put on her only stayed on a few seconds...she did not like having it on her finger.  So, we found some tape and tried to tape the gauze to it.  She got that off in no time at all so we tried taping two fingers together...again she got it off quickly.  On our third attempt we got it to stay on for maybe a minute...maybe.  She was also successful in removing it, but by the time she did the finger had finally stopped bleeding.  Whewww!!!

The doctor says she is still ahead developmentally.  Summer really put on a show for her.  She would laugh and make funny noises to make sure the doctor was focusing on her.  She was very fascinated with the stethoscope, more so than usual.  I was surprised that she did not try to put it in her mouth as she does EVERYTHING else.

I, of course, forgot to ask a few questions that I have regarding her drinking.  Like what should she be drinking-milk or juice or water? and How much per day is enough/too little?  I wanted to mention that I was giving her milk during the day to see what the dr.'s reaction would be, but that too fled my mind while I was talking to the dr.  hmmmmmmm

Overall, Summer was found to be in good health which I am very grateful for.  I am soooo lucky to have a healthy and beautiful little girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow she's so big! Summer was "average" in one category and slightly 'above-average" in another, but I can't remember which. She has an appointment at the end of this month, I'll have to remember what he says this time.
Everything is so confusing when it comes to guidelines and feeding and stuff. But from what I've heard, its either formula or breast milk for the first year, with occasional juice and water. I saw this article about giving regular milk to babies, hopefully it helps!  http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/formulafeed/1334703.html
--Stephanie