Monday, July 7, 2008

Fireworks

Summer was a little scared of the fireworks the other day.  I had to bring her in from the balcony and we watched them from the couch.  The next day we saw a few from the window in Soddy, but we didn't really watch much.  I was more interested in the movie on TV.  It was the first time I have ever watched a Harry Potter movie, and it was pretty good.  Anyway, yesterday she woke up and wanted to watch more fireworks.  It is pretty crazy because I didn't think she really liked them, but I guess deep down she did. 

We went over to a friends house for a cookout on the 4th.  It was fun.  Summer and I swam in the pool.  At first she didn't like it and seemed scared.  About the 3rd time we got in, she started loosening up a bit and even sat on a few floats (which is a lot for her).  For some reason, it seems like she has always had a fear of floats.  She still does not like anyone else to be on her float, and if they try to get on, she is high-tailing it off to Mommy.  She likes to do "Ring Around the Rosies" in the water and also for me to spin her in circles with her body over the water.  She still holds my hands when she jumps off the side of the pool.  I don't usually let her go under unless I tell her first.  She usually does not want to do that again, but she doesn't get upset when I let her.  She is still pretty scared of the water which is good b/c she won't just go jumping in when no one is there to catch her or hold her.  She likes to kick on her back as long as I am holding her head close to me out of the water.  I doubt she will be swimming this year, but that was a pipe dream anyway.  I can't say that I mind though b/c I love the fact that she wants me to hold her close and protect her.  That probably won't last forever so I'm gonna enjoy it as long as she lets me. 

As you can see from a few of the pics, Summer has a big bruise on her cheek from falling off the porch at her Memaw's house.  It wasn't that big of a fall, but it did leave a bruise.  If that isn't bad enough though, a few days later she fell off of the bar stool and landed on her face - the same side.  It was awful.  She cried and cried and her lip was swollen and bleeding a little.  She let me put a wet rag with some ice in it on her face for a while.  We rocked and rocked until she felt better.  It was so sweet, but also scary.  I told her about how we used to rock when she was a baby while she was nursing.  It brought back a lot of good memories being in that rocking chair.  We stayed at our house this weekend which we haven't done in a long while and it was nice.  I think we need to go there for a few days next time.  It is such a relaxing atmosphere out there by the lake far away from the hustle and bustle of downtown.  We got to see a few of our neighbors and they were all amazed at how big Summer is now.  It was nice visiting with them until the mosquitos started biting me.  That's one thing I don't miss. 

Yesterday we had Sunday dinner at my Aunt Leisa's house to celebrate Grandad's birthday.  It was good as usual.  Lots of food and dessert too.  I actually ate dessert first yesterday.  I had two homemade oatmeal cookies and a piece of lemon cake before my meal.  I am glad I did though b/c I couldn't eat anything else when I finished my plate.  Clint got food poisoning or something though b/c he has been sick ever since then.  I don't think anybody else did though, so maybe it was something else.  It was a nice to visit with the family again.   When I was growing up, we had Sunday dinner EVERY Sunday.  But, after Memaw died, it stopped.  Now we do it maybe once every other month, sometimes twice.  Iam glad my aunt takes the initiative to plan them b/c otherwise we would only see the family at Christmas. 

I better go see what Summer is into.  It is a little too quiet in the other room. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's getting so big! We didn't light a single firework on the 4th, it rained alllll day here :(

I made a new blog, check it out if you'd like:

www.morethanamommyblog.blogspot.com

--stephanie