Wednesday, November 1, 2006

A Time to Mourn

My aunt died on Monday, and today is the funeral.  It is sad to see someone so young (43) and loved pass away.  She had been battling cancer for almost 5 years, and it finally got the best of her.  Over the past 6 weeks or so, we knew she was dying.  So, Summer, Clint and I tried to visit her at least once a week.  She loved seeing Summer and always lit up when we walked in the front door.  She would hold her and give her lots of kisses and tell me how precious she is.  Last Tuesday was the last time I took Summer to see her.  Even though she was in a lot of pain and barely able to talk, she got the strength up to hold Summer.  She lifted her in the air and of course gave her lots of kisses.  It was amazing to me to see her put forth so much effort to hold my little girl when she couldn't even get out of bed or pick up a cup of water.  There were only a few words I could understand that day and the last one was "kisses".  She said that before we were leaving, and I knew that meant she wanted to give Summer some more kisses.  I know she loved my little girl and I am glad I had the opportunity to brighten her day by sharing Summer with her.  I said my goodbyes to her on Sunday, and Monday morning my mom called with the news that she had gone to be with my Memaw up in heaven.  Today at the funeral I am reading a poem that I wrote for her a little over a week ago.  I hope God gives me the strenght to do it without breaking down.  We will truly miss her as she was such a wonderful person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your Aunt. It's so nice she got to spend so much time with Summer - it sounds like that made her truly happy.  My prayers are with you and your family.  Take care - Leene

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I hope Summer had a fun Halloween!