Saturday, September 16, 2006

First Veggies......

I gave Summer her first veggie - green beans - on Sept. 8.  She did pretty good eating it.  At first she closed her mouth and didn't look like she would eat anymore.  Then she opened up and ate about half of the jar.....all the while making some funny faces.  I tried to feed her some bananas afterwards, but she wasn't having any of them either....and she likes bananas.  I fed her the other half on the 10th, and she did not like it all this time.  She actually started crying a few minutes after she ate them, and I think that they might hurt her stomach.  I can't remember if she did the same thing the first time I gave them to her, but I think she might have.  So, we are not going to try them again for a month or so.  I did give her some squash a few days ago and she seemed to like it better than the green beens.  I think they tasted the same, but that's just me.  They did not seem to give her an upset stomach though so we'll try them again in the next week or so.  I am actually taking a break from jar food hoping that she will forget what the fruit tasted like and eat her veggies like a good girl.  We'll see if it works....I hope so!!!  She has no problem at all eating bananas, peaches or applesauce.  I have not fed her anymore pears since the first time because I think they hurt her stomach too.  It is fun feeding her the veggies and seeing what kind of face she will make.  I also pretend like they taste as good as the fruits, but I'm not sure she is buying all the "Yummies!"  I am dishing out. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can’t wait until I can feed Sloan with a spoon. Did you wait until Summer was four months old before feeding with a spoon? That’s what my pediatrician said to do, but I am getting excited about it!! Summer is adorable! She sure was making some funny faces and looking cuter that ever!

Anonymous said...

Sunny, I actually started when she was about 2.5 months.  It took her a few days to get used to swallowing this way (without sucking on something).  She still sucks on her hands/fingers when she eats which she started not long after I started feeding her with a spoon.  My pediatrician said to wait until 5 months for veggies and fruit this last time I went (and to do the veggies first).  She said I could go ahead and start feeding her cereal though.  But, I had already started with the jar food....when I was a baby I they had my mom feeding me fruits when I was 2 months old, so I think it is okay to feed them whenever you feel they are ready.