Sunday, August 27, 2006

Summer's 1st Airplane trip - San Diego

Where has the time gone?  I have been meaning to post since we got back, but it seems like time is flying by.  Well, here goes.....

We went to San Diego on August 18 for Amanda's program graduation.  This was Summer's 1st trip out of town and on an airplane.  When we were in the airport waiting on the plane, she was a little fussy so I decided to go ahead and give her some Tylenol just to be on the safe side.  We boarded the plane and Summer started freaking out.  She didn't know where she was and was not happy.  So, I decided it would be a good time to feed her so she would calm down.  That worked!!!  As soon as she started eating, she relaxed.  Then she went to sleep, so that flight went pretty good.  We had to change planes in Dallas.  This flight was not as good as the first.  She slept about half of the flight, but then was a little fussy for the remainder of it.  She wasn't too bad and overall I would call the trip a success.  The flights home were even better. 

While we were in San Diego, Summer got to meet her grandparents for the first time.  They kept her while Clint, Amanda and myself attended the seminar on Saturday and Sunday.  She took really long naps for her Nona and I must say I am a little jealous.  I thought when we got back home she would take naps like that too, but they have been much shorter since we have been back.  Anyway, she was pretty good for them while they kept her.  They all had a good time together and I enjoyed seeing them dote on her.  Clint's mom would sing to her and play patty cake with her.  I even got a little of it on video so that one day when Summer is bigger she can see it for herself since I doubt she will remember it.  I got some good pics of them together too. 

In the evening when it was time for us to go out and eat, she was pretty fussy.  With the time difference (3 hours), it was already past her bed time when we were ready to go out.  So, she was a little fussy and wanted her bed.  But, we managed to get to go out to eat both nights with minimal trouble from Summer.  I had to hold her one night while we were eating and she started chewing on my hand.  It was the first time she had done that and it felt really weird to have her gnawing on me.  But, it made her happy so I just let her do it.  The next night I took her car seat in and got her to fall asleep shortly after dinner arrived at the table.  The car seat Mom brought for me to use had a rocking feature which was pretty neat.  That made it easier for me to "rock" her to sleep while I was eating my lasagne. 

We went to the beach on Monday which was nice.  Summer did not like the ocean water...it was really cold.  I put her feet in it when the waves came up and it got on her clothes and in her diaper.  She wasn't happy about this.  I don't know if anyone has tried to change a diaper on the beach before, but it is not easy to keep the sand from getting all in it!!!  I got her changed with minimal sand in her diaper and she was happy.  I kept a hat on her and tried to keep her out of the sun for the most part, but later that evening when we were walking down the streets shopping we noticed her cheeks were a little red.  I started feeling bad that I had let her get burnt, but there was nothing I could do at that point.  The next day it didn't look like she had gotten burnt so I was happy.

Overall, the trip was great.  It was nice getting to spend time with Clint's parents.  I know they enjoyed meeting their granddaughter.  Hopefully, we will get to go visit them in Las Vegas soon.  If not, I hope they will be able to make out here for Thanksgiving, Christmas or both!!! 

No comments: