Sunday, July 30, 2006

1st Foods

I gave Summer her first fruit on July 17 - bananas.  Clint fed her first, and he did a good job.  By the time it was my turn, I think she was tired of eating out of a spoon.  She is used to getting food constantly by sucking either my breast or a bottle, and getting spoon fed wasn't what she was wanting...she was wanting to suck on something.  So, I would give her a few bites and stick her pacifier in her mouth before she could spit it back out.  This seemed to work okay...but it is going to take a while for her to get used to this method of eating.  I fed her 1/2 of the jar the first day and the other half the next day.  I waited a week before I tried fruit again.  This time I gave her pears and I also gave her water in a bottle so she would have something to suck on and wash it down with.  This seemed to work a little better, but she didn't seem like she enjoyed it at all.  Yesterday we gave her rice cereal and breastmilk via spoon while we were at Applebees.  It was too runny, so it was messy and hard to feed with a spoon.  I will try it again today, but make it thicker so it is easier to keep in the spoon. 

I'm a little nervous about giving her food already anyway because of course they want you to wait until they are 6 months old before you give them anything and she just turned 12 weeks old yesterday.  But, I feel like she needs something else because she wants to eat every 2-3 hours.  Three hours I can handle, but two is a little much at this point.  I know she will be fine eating it because when I was her age I was already eating cereal, fruits and veggies.  I have had some people tell me she is too young, but others that tell me to feed her.  So, I'll go with my gut which tells me it is okay.  I also want her to get used to eating food because we will be attending a seminar in August and she will be staying with her Nono and Nona (Clint's parents) during the seminar.  So, I want her to be able to eat something other than just breastmilk so I don't have to worry so much about pumping because we will be in San Diego so I can't really just take some frozen breastmilk with me.  I think it will all work out good.  It will be the first time Clint's parents have seen the baby, so they are excited and so are we.  I hope Summer will be a good baby for them.  I'm sure Clint's mom will be able to handle her...she had 5 children of her own so she knows what to do.  I am really looking forward to our trip and hopefully I will have Summer eating out of a spoon like a pro by then.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Congratulations on buying a home! I am so nervous about it all. I do not want to get stuck renting for another six months to a year. Yuck! Anyway, I am really glad it all worked out for you! Best wishes!! I had a rough time with Sloan yesterday. I mean, how much Mylicon is too much? haha