Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time Out

Oh what a place to be! I thought the uncomfortableness of the rock fireplace alone would deter the girls from repeating unwanted behaviors, but that does not seem to be the case. It never ceases to amaze me how many times Lexie can do the same thing you just told her not to do. Again and again and again. I know that the toy does not just keep moving and jumping under your feet!!! And, then when you ask her if she is going to do it again, she looks at you with those beautiful blue eyes and says she is not going to do it, all the while knowing good and well she probably is. So you let her out of timeout and there she goes. Fun times!

And, attitude? Well, that's Summer's downfall at this point in time. That and picking on Lexie. I believe they were both in time out for picking on each other today. I do think they are learning something from their time outs, but they also keep testing their boundaries to see what they can get away with. I guess that is just part of it. I really do believe consistency pays off in the long run. So, I'm sticking to my guns and doling out the consequences by the hand full it seems some days. It's not always easy to do that, but I do my best to set reasonable expectations for the kid's behavior and then make them responsible for their actions. Now don't get me wrong, it's not all consequences I'm handing out. There are praises too and treats for good behaviors. I definitely believe in building them up with words. You can never do that enough. Lexie has only one more poop to go and she gets to pick out a toy at the store. I am so proud of her and she is proud of herself too. Will it be tomorrow? And, do I burst Summer's balloon that she is not getting one too??? Oh the curve balls in life. I just love handling them. Oh to be the kid again...........this parenting stuff is hard some times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Summer, hope tha tyou had a good Easter sweetie. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

God bless