Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another first: BOWLING

Last night, we met up with some friends at the bowling alley for a little friendly competition. When we were getting out of the car, Summer was saying how she wanted to win. LOL She is so competitive. We got the bumpers pulled out (they didn't help me) and also got a ramp for her to roll her ball down. It was awesome! She was able to pick up her ball and carry it to the ramp every time. I was so happy about that because I was worried the ball would be too heavy and she would get frustrated. That was not the case though and it was a fun time for all. She bowled a 55 using a 6 lb. ball. As soon as we got up this morning, Summer was ready to go again. :p She did not win, but I did not tell her that. She didn't really seem to notice who won anyway. She really wanted to play another game, but our stomachs were all growling. No major crisis there because hers was too.

We have done a little more decorating today. Her rooms is totally decked out now. The rest of the house not so much, but that's okay. I'm not in a big hurry. Still going back and forth from a real tree to our old pre-lit one. If it's up to Summer, we'll have the fake one up soon. She found something I had for her stocking as we were getting out some decorations, but I snatched it up real quick and put it under her tree. It went off without much of a hitch, but I think that is because we had the decorations to distract her. I wonder how long it will take for her to ask to open it. Last year we did the 12 days of Christmas, but not sure we will do that this year. Maybe by then I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat to give her a present.

I told her the story of Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection today (a very brief version) while she was setting up her nativity in her room. Her reply, "That's strange." She was, as most kids probably are, unaware that the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place is that it is Jesus' birthday....at least that's how it started, right? I know that He is the true reason for the season, but over the years its gotten mixed up with Santa Claus. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Santa. In fact, I think it is a joyous time of year with all the excitement it brings little children to receive a gift from Santa. I just want to make sure she knows the real reason for the season. I am also trying to instill in her that it is better to give than receive. Not an easy concept for a 3 year old, or some adults for that matter, but it is important. Giving always feels so much better than receiving. Well, receiving is fun too....enough philosophical talk.

We've got another busy weekend ahead. Maybe Sunday will bring us a day of rest....maybe not.

5 comments:

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I'm glad she had a good time!!

Anonymous said...

Bowling sounds like so much fun, I haven't been in a while. I'm glad Summer enjoyed it!! I can't wait to see Summers' room all decorated for Christmas. I have not started decorating yet...I have been fighting it for a couple weeks already though. I think we will do it next week since the kids have the whole week off, today is actually their last day since we leave in the morning for Dollywood...WOOHOO!!! Saturday the kids will finally get to go ice skating (at Ober) and they can hardly wait. We are looking forward to a fun filled weekend. It is hard to teach ALL children that giving is better than receiving and I agree, it is fun receiving too. I applaud you for being such a great mom, keep your chin up sis!! You know that I am always here for you and that you guys, all three of you, never fail to be in our prayers. We love you guys so much. OXOXOXOXOXOX

Susie said...

Way to go Summer on your score. I am glad you are teaching the true meaning of Christmas. I believe the same way that Children should know the meaning.

Bridgett said...

I want to see pictures of Summer's room! :)

My kids love bowling too. Glad she had fun.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Summer, sounds like bowling was a great time!! Good for you sweetie, glad you enjoyed yourself! Have a Happy Thanksgiving and know that we are praying for you.

God bless

Debbie/Angel_Wings